When it comes to convenience in the kitchen, the microwave may be one of the best items to have. They cook food quickly and can reheat most foods in a fraction of the time compared to using the stove top or oven.
Microwaves also work well to defrost food if you’re in a hurry and need to prepare a meal when you don’t have time to wait for the foods to thaw on their own. Microwaves come in many different styles and sizes. They are available in counter top styles or units that are designed to be installed over your range for venting.
When choosing a microwave for your kitchen it’s important to consider how you wish to use the unit. Many are designed with advanced features that can save time and effort when preparing meals in your kitchen.
There are also some basic microwaves that will meet the needs of those who are simply looking for a quick way to cook and reheat foods. Microwaves come in several different finishes so you can choose one that matches your other kitchen appliances. The following is a list of the 10 best microwaves based on consumer report.
The Toshiba Microwave Oven has a contemporary black and stainless steel design. This microwave includes advanced inverter technology which helps to thaw frozen foods more quickly. It’s also designed to reheat foods faster to save time and energy.
This microwave oven from Toshiba includes a control panel with the following pre-programmed options: pizza, potatoes, fresh vegetables, and popcorn. This unit allows you to choose among 10 different power levels with the highest being 1250 watts.
- has a large and easy to grip door handle
- unit allows you to pre-program up to 3 power and timer options for customized settings
- large digital display has a clock function
- control panel is simple and easy to use
- microwave has a sleek exterior so you can wipe it down as needed
- inverter technology makes for quick cooking
- microwave can be loud while running
- not designed for above range installation
This microwave from Toshiba comes in a beautiful stainless steel black finish. This unit has a touch control panel with several pre-set functions for popular foods. It includes inverter technology that works efficiently to defrost and cook your food.
The GE PEM31SFSS Profile Countertop Microwave has a timeless stainless steel finish. This microwave has a sleek design that will look beautiful on any kitchen counter top. It comes with an optional hanging kit that allows you to install the unit in your kitchen if desired.
This microwave from GE is equipped with 10 power levels so it can cook many different types of foods. It has an easy to use control panel with many pre-set functions for quick cooking options. It has functions for popcorn, vegetables, beverages, and potatoes.
- can defrost based on weight or time
- add 30 seconds button makes it easy to reheat foods quickly
- sensor cooking controls cook food evenly
- control panel is simple to use
- unit has a sleek design and features a push-button door
- can be installed or placed on counter top for use
- not as powerful as some other microwaves
- unit makes loud beeping sounds during operation
This microwave from GE has a stylish design with a stainless steel finish. It includes several preset cooking functions and can also be used to defrost foods. The included turntable can be turned on or off as desired depending on the type of food you’re cooking.
The Nostalgia RMO770RED Retro Countertop Microwave Oven has 700 Watts of cooking power. This microwave oven has a retro look in a stylish red color. It features 12 different settings that include: popcorn, pizza, vegetables, potatoes, and more.
This microwave from Nostalgia is 0.7 cubic feet of cooking space that gives you plenty of room to cook different types of foods. It has an easy to read LED display that shows the time or the different cooking settings to help you choose the best option for your food.
- microwave has a sleek chrome door handle and chrome accents
- rotating glass carousel helps food cook evenly
- LED display lights up making it easy to see
- unique and stylish retro design
- express cooking function reheats foods quickly
- defrost function makes it easy to thaw meats and other foods quickly
- icons and settings are somewhat complicated to figure out
- clock is difficult to set
This retro style microwave comes in a vibrant red color. It has 12 different programs that are designed to cook many types of foods. The microwave also has express cooking functions that make it easy to add time with the push of a button.
The Panasonic NN-SU656B Microwave Oven is designed to be used on the countertop. This microwave includes a pre-set cooking functions for popcorn so you can make your favorite microwave snack perfectly each time without burning.
This microwave also has a defrost button and several other one-touch controls that make it easy to cook and reheat different types of foods. It has a sleek black finish that makes it easy to wipe clean and it will look great in your kitchen.
- includes advanced defrost technology to thaw food quickly
- compact design to save counter space
- has 1100 watts of cooking power
- thinner than many other similar size microwaves so it doesn’t take up as much space
- includes a 13.4″ turntable to cook foods evenly
- has 1.3 cubic feet of cooking capacity
- light only comes on inside while food is cooking, not when door is on
- unit produces a lot of steam that could cause steam burns when removing certain foods
This microwave oven from Panasonic has a thin design that makes it ideal for smaller kitchens where you still want plenty of cooking options. It has a popcorn button along with 7 pre-set functions for foods like vegetables, potatoes, frozen pizza, and casseroles.
The Toshiba EC042A5C-BS Microwave Oven has a black stainless finish for easy cleanup. This microwave includes a convection function which can be ideal for cooking certain types of foods so they come out evenly cooked and crisp.
This microwave from Toshiba has 1.5 cubic feet of cooking space. The interior of the unit is also stainless steel which makes it easy to clean after a spill or other mess. The microwave includes a 13.6 inch turntable that helps foods cook and reheat evenly
- can use microwave or convection technology to cook
- sensor cooking and reheating functions cook food thoroughly without overheating
- includes an auto menu for roasting, baking, and defrosting
- easy to use menu gives you many options for cooking various foods
- large capacity makes it easy to reheat on a large plate or in a casserole container
- includes a grill rack to use for convection mode
- unit is pricier than many other microwaves
- it doesn’t include inverter technology
This microwave oven from Toshiba is versatile and large enough to cook and reheat most types of foods. It has an LED control panel that allows you to choose among the different cooking settings. It can also use convection technology for cooking different foods.
The Panasonic Microwave Oven has a powerful 1250 watts of cooking power. The interior of the unit gives you 1.6 cubic feet of cooking area. This microwave has a smooth stainless steel finish on the outside that makes it easy to clean.
This microwave from Panasonic can be used as a builtin unit or on the counter top. It includes an easy push button to open the microwave door. The unit uses inverter technology and a turbo defrost button to cook and defrost your favorite foods quickly and evenly.
- compact design saves space in your kitchen
- 15″ turn table can hold larger cooking dishes
- smart cooking settings make it easy to choose the right option to cook different types of food
- control panel has many pre-set options
- turbo defrost saves time when thawing meat and other frozen foods
- includes a delay start and a child safety lock
- unit has a higher price tag than many other microwaves
- the included kitchen timer cannot be used while the microwave is running
This microwave from Toshiba has many features and functions that allow it to evenly cook different types of foods. It has 14 pre-set menu items to cook and reheat popular food items. This unit has a large capacity with a thinner design that saves kitchen space.
The Daewoo Retro Countertop Microwave Oven has a fun style that looks great in your kitchen. This unit has a retro look with a city blue finish. It has a classic handle that makes the unit easy to open and close with one hand.
This microwave from Daewoo includes a recessed turntable that turns while cooking to help food cook and reheat evenly. This unit has 0.7 cubic feet of cooking space which makes it compact enough for small kitchens where counter space is limited.
- unit has 700 watts of power
- includes 5 power levels for cooking different foods
- has concave reflex system for efficient cooking power
- unique look is a conversation starter in your kitchen
- simple control design makes it easy to choose the different setting options
- unit is small and weighs less than 20 pounds
- cannot cook large items like casseroles or larger dinner plates
- interior light doesn’t come on when door is opened
This compact microwave oven from Daewoo has a stylish retro look and comes in several fun color options. It has different power levels and settings designed to cook some of your favorite foods. It includes a 10″ turntable for even cooking.
The Panasonic NN-SN736B Black Countertop Microwave Oven has 1.6 cubic feet of cooking space inside. This microwave uses patented inverter technology to deliver an even stream of cooking power for food that’s completely cooked without being overcooked.
This microwave from Panasonic is designed to preserve the flavors of your foods through even cooking. It features a membrane keypad with many different preset functions that make it easy to choose the right settings for your favorite foods.
- 1250 watts of power
- includes push button door release
- has 10 power levels for properly cooking many foods
- has 14 preset menu items
- features a 15″ turntable for cooking larger items
- delay start and timer makes it easy to have foods ready when you need them
- unit is large and requires a lot of space
- not designed to designed to be installed or hung in the kitchen
This microwave oven from Panasonic includes a popcorn button along with many other functions for one touch cooking. It has a delay timer that allows you to choose when you want your foods to begin cooking. It also includes a large turntable to cook food evenly.
The Panasonic NN-SD681S Countertop/Built-in Microwave uses inverter technology for even cooking that helps keep your food flavorful. This unit features an elegant blue LED readout that makes it easy to see the time or choose among the various settings.
This microwave from Panasonic has a dial that controls the time, weight, and other settings. It also features several buttons for choosing the different preset cooking functions. It has a stylish stainless finish that’s easy to wipe free of smudges and dirt.
- turbo defrost is designed to save time when defrosting meats and other frozen items
- unit has 1200 watts of cooking power
- keep warm button can keep food warm for up to 30 minutes
- one-touch cooking settings saves time and effort
- programming dial is easy to use to change time or weight
- unit has push button door for easy opening
- you have to press the power button repeatedly to get to the desired power level
- using the dial to choose the time can take practice
This microwave oven from Panasonic has a sleek stainless steel look that will make a stylish addition to your kitchen. It has a dial to control the time or weight when defrosting foods. It also includes inverter technology that helps foods cook evenly.
The Toshiba EM925A5A-BS Microwave Oven is compact is size and has 0.9 cubic feet of cooking space inside. This unit has a black stainless steel finish that looks stylish and modern. It includes a 10.6″ turntable to cook foods evenly.
This microwave oven from Toshiba works well for kitchens with limited space since it’s smaller than many other options. It has 900 watts of power and includes 10 power settings to cook different types of foods at the desired level to maintain taste and proper cooking temperature.
- includes a kitchen timer for convenience
- defrost function can be used for time or weight
- digital control panel has interior LED light
- includes a one touch start for many favorite foods like pizza and popcorn
- power saving mode prevents the wasting of energy
- unit has an optional child safety lock
- not large enough to cook over sized plates or other large dishes
- doesn’t include sensor cooking or inverter technology
This compact microwave from Toshiba is ideal for small kitchens where you don’t have a lot of counter space. It has a black stainless finish that’s easy to keep clean. This microwave includes many preset cooking functions for easy reheating or cooking of your favorite foods.
A microwave can be one of the most convenient and easy to use appliances in your kitchen. They can be used to defrost frozen foods to help you with meal prep when time is limited. Microwaves can also cook some of your favorite snacks and foods.
Many include preset cooking functions for items like pizza, popcorn, potatoes, and vegetables. Some also offer inverter technology or convection cooking for different ways to prepare foods.
When choosing the best microwave it can be helpful to read online consumer reviews from others who have purchased and used the item so you can get one that’s worth the money.