There are many different choices when it comes to heating your home. Some are better used for heating up a room or certain space in your home while others can heat the whole house. Electric fireplaces are ideal for nearly any room in your home.
They take little to no installation and some are small enough to be moved around your home as needed. They are easy to use and don’t require cleaning and maintenance like wood burning fireplaces. But they can give your home that same cozy feeling as a standard fireplace.
Electric fireplaces come in several styles and size options. You may need to measure your space for square footage so that you’re able to choose the size right size for your home. These fireplaces come mostly assembled although some may require some very easy assembly before they can be used.
It’s important to read all instructions included with your fireplace to ensure you have enough clearance from the wall and other items in your home for safety reasons. The following is a list of the 10 best electric fireplaces by consumer report.
10. Best Choice Products SKY1826 Embedded Fireplace Electric Insert
The Best Choice Products Embedded Electric Fireplace is designed to be inserted into an existing fireplace. It can work well if you’re updating or removing your gas or wood burning fireplace. The installation is relatively easy into most existing fireplaces.
This fireplace insert from Best Choice Products is equipped with a safety cutoff if the fireplace ever gets too hot. This unit is vent-free so you don’t have to worry about venting for safety. It comes with a remote control so you can turn the unit on and off easily.
- CSA certified
- remote allows you to adjust the heat level and dimmer
- includes installation manual
- fireplace has a beautiful look with realistic looking flames
- user friendly remote and control panel make it easy to adjust the various settings
- you can adjust the dimmer based on how bright you want the fireplace to look
- requires installation into existing fireplace
- size of fireplace may not be able to heat a larger room efficiently
This electric fireplace from Best Choice Products is designed to be inserted into an existing fireplace or console. It’s easy to operate and includes a remote control so you can adjust the fireplace from the comfort of your favorite chair or sofa.
9. Valuxhome Houselux 36″ 750W/1500W, Embedded Fireplace Electric Insert Heater
The Valuxhome Houselux Embedded Fireplace insert can be placed into an existing fireplace. This unit is 36″ long and 21″ high. It has several different settings so you can adjust the heat and the timer based on your preferences.
This fireplace insert can be installed without the use of vents or chimneys. It has a front hot vent that allows it to heat a space up to 400 square feet in size. This insert is ideal as a supplementary heat source in a living room, bedroom, or family room.
- designed with realistic looking brick panels
- uses energy-saving LED technology
- can be used as full heat, half heat, or with just the flames
- easy to install in most existing fireplaces
- energy efficient to operate
- equipped with 3 night light colors to customize the look in your home
- digital temperature display doesn’t stay lit the entire time the fireplace is on
- you may need to make some adjustments for installation on non-standard size fireplaces
This electric insert is designed to be used in an existing fireplace without the need for vents or chimneys. It has 2 different heat settings and can also be used with just the flames. It also has the option to use cracking sound to simulate the sounds of a traditional wood burning fireplace.
8. PuraFlame Alice 40″ Recessed Electric Fireplace
The PuraFlames Alice 40″ Recessed Electric Fireplace can be flush mounted into many existing fireplaces for a beautiful look and cozy ambiance in your space. This fireplace has two different connection options: plug in or hard wire into the electrical system.
This fireplace from PuraFlame is designed to provide you with the look of real flames from a woodburning unit without the maintenance of cleanup. It has the following 4 different flame settings: yellow with blue light and low brightness, all yellow, yellow with blue light and high brightness, and all blue brightness.
- flame can be used with or without heat
- thermostat can control the temperature from 61 to 82 degrees
- countdown timer can be used to turn fireplace off automatically
- includes a remote control
- provides a realistic look to add a coziness to your space
- can be used year-round with or without heat
- unit is larger and heavier than many other options
- remote may not work well from certain distances or angles
This versatile fireplace can provide your space with warmth and a beautiful look with different colors of flames and rocks. It can be installed in a console or an existing fireplace. The unit can be used with heat during cold weather or with just flames during warmer weather.
7. Touchstone Ivory Wall-Hanging Heated Electric Fireplace
The Touchstone Ivory Wall-Hanging Heated Electric Fireplace has a stylish modern look with a white facade. The fireplace is designed to be hung on the wall and can be used anywhere you have enough wall space and access to an electrical socket.
This wall hanging fireplace from Touchstone is the perfect decor for a large wall where you need a beautiful focal point. It has LED technology which provides you with realistic looking flames and also saves energy over using gas or other methods of heating.
- easy to install
- made with durable tempered glass
- features high or low heat settings
- can heat a room up to 400 square feet in size
- has 5 levels of brightness options for flames
- comes with a builtin timer for convenience
- unit is large and requires a lot of wall space for installation
- it needs a certain amount of clearance when installed on the same wall with a TV
This electric fireplace unit from Touchstone comes in a modern ivory color that will look great in your bedroom, living room, or other space. It’s designed to be hung on the wall and can be installed with basic drywall screws.
6. HomCom 16″ 1500W Free Standing Electric Wood Stove Fireplace
The HomCom 16″ 1500W Free Standing Electric Fireplace has a design that resembles a class wood burning fireplace. It has logs inside with realistic flames that are easily mistaken as authentic, even when looked at from a close distance.
This free standing electric fireplace requires no installation and is virtually ready to use once removed from the box. It can be used with heat to warm up your space quickly and efficiently, or without heat to view the flames when you don’t need to extra heat.
- freestanding design gives you plenty of options on placement of fireplace
- has a classic finish with copper-looking handles
- large viewing window allows you to see the flames from across the room
- requires no installation
- can be used year-round
- features 2 different heat settings
- unit is small and can’t heat a large room
- cord placement may prove difficult as it’s not supposed to run behind the heater when it’s in use
This compact fireplace works well in small rooms where you need extra heat with the look of real flames. It requires no installation and is maintenance free. This heater can be used throughout the year as it has 2 heat settings and can also be used without the heat.
5. Duraflame DFI021ARU Electric Log Set
The Duraflame Electric Log Set is designed with a realistic ember bed that makes the unit appear to be authentic burning wood when it’s on. This set of logs can be used in a fireplace to give you warmth without the cleanup and maintenance associated with burning wood.
This set of realistic looking electric logs comes with overheat protection so the unit turns off automatically if it becomes too hot. The logs act as a heater that can provide up to 46,000 BTUs which can heat a room of around 400 square feet.
- ember bed projects flames onto back of fireplace for authenticity
- adjustable thermostat allows you to choose your ideal temperature
- unit allows you to instantly switch your existing fireplace to electric
- easy to use and install
- provides you with the look and warmth of wood or gas without the extra work
- logs have rolling and pulsating motion to look even more realistic
- not designed to heat a large space
- this set is ideal as a primary heat source
This set of electric logs can be placed directly into most existing fireplaces. They require no maintenance or cleaning so you can have the look of real logs without the hassle. The adjustable thermostat allows you to set the temperature at your preferred level.
4. Touchstone 80014 – Sideline Electric Fireplace
The Touchstone 80014 Sideline Electric Fireplace has a beautiful and sleek design that will look great in your home. This electric fireplace is designed to be installed in your wall. It can be recessed into the wall for a flush mount.
This fireplace from Touchstone offers two different heat settings. The vents are located on the upper front area which helps to spread the heat throughout the room. The fireplace is 36″ in size making it ideal for use in a living room, bedroom, or family room.
- can be used in extremely cold weather or mild weather with the 2 different heat levels
- includes instructions to help with quick installation
- provides the look of a traditional wood burning fireplace with the convenience of electricity’
- can heat a space of around 400 square feet
- includes a remote control that allows you to adjust the settings from your sofa or chair
- flames can be adjusted to different brightness levels
- not useful for heating large open areas
- mounting can be challenging for those with no DIY experience
This wall mounted fireplace can be placed nearly anywhere you have enough wall space and clearance. It’s ideal for heating small to average size rooms and can be used throughout the year with the 2 different heat levels. You can also adjust the flame brightness to your desired level.
3. Ameriwood Home Chicago Fireplace TV Stand
The Ameriwood Home Chicago Fireplace TV Stand is a versatile piece of furniture that can work well in an office, bedroom, or living room. Not only does this stand have a beautiful electric fireplace insert, it can also be used to hold TVs up to 50.”
This fireplace unit has storage on each side to make it more functional. The featured unit is black in color but it’s also available in several other colors and finishes. The fireplace in the unit has a beautiful design that makes it look like authentic burning wood.
- top surface of unit can hold up to 70 pounds
- 2 side cabinets have glass doors and shelves for storage
- has an open center divided shelf that can hold 30 pounds
- has many uses plus provides warmth to your space
- ideal for use in smaller rooms where you need multi-use furniture
- fireplace uses efficient LEDs for heating
- requires assembly before use
- fireplace is small and has limited heating abilities
This electric fireplace from Ameriwood Home comes in a console unit that can also be used to hold your TV and store items. It comes in several finishes so you can find one that matches your home decor. The unit has a center metal firebox with realistic looking logs.
2. PuraFlame 26″ Western Electric Fireplace Insert
The PuraFlame 26″ Western Electric Fireplace Insert comes with a remote control that allows you to easily adjust the settings from anywhere in the room. This fireplace is designed to be put into an existing fireplace in your home.
This fireplace from PuraFlame uses 100% energy saving LED technology so you don’t have to worry about your heating source causing a significant increase in your power bill. The fireplace includes life-like resin longs and an ember bed that adds to the realistic look.
- includes a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
- it’s equipped with 3 different flame intensities
- fireplace can be used with or without heat
- has an electronic temperature control for the level of heat you want
- can be used year-round for heat or just to look at the flames
- includes a remote control so you can adjust the settings easily
- can’t heat a large room
- heater can get warm to the touch
This electric fireplace unit from PuraFlame uses LED technology to heat up a room up to 400 square feet in size. This unit has a realistic look with logs and an ember bed that glows to look like a real fire. It can be used in an existing fireplace or installed into a console.
1. Lifesmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace
The Lifesmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace is designed to zone heat your home. It can work in small to medium size rooms to heat up the space quickly. This heater uses infrared heat that also helps to keep the air moisturized to prevent extremely dry air in the home.
This heater from Lifesmart heats your home cleanly without any of the negative effects that come from using wood or gas fireplaces. This unit is lightweight and you can move it from room to room if desired. It has a class wood cabinet that will look nice in your home.
- infrared heat targets people and objects rather than heating the air
- unit helps to maintain the humidity in the room
- can be used in many different areas of your home and is easy to move around with the included casters
- includes remote control for convenience
- can be used with or without heat
- has an internal thermostat so you can choose your ideal temperature
- the fan in the heater may be louder than other similar heater fans
- may take longer than larger heaters to reach the desired temperature
This infrared heater from Lifesmart doesn’t dry out the air in your home. It focuses the heat towards people and objects rather than wasting energy on heating the entire air in the room. This unit has casters and can easily be moved around your home.
Electric fireplaces are great for small homes and to heat individual rooms. They require no installation and can be setup quickly and be ready to use soon after removing them from packaging. These fireplaces are designed to closely resemble a wood burning fireplace but they’re much easier to use. They don’t require cleaning or regular maintenance like wood burning fireplaces.
Some are designed to operate with just the flames if you want the cozy look of a fire but don’t need heat. When shopping for these fireplaces you should consider the space you have so you can find the best option to work in your home. You can also read online consumer reviews to help you choose a fireplace that works well and fits within your budget.