There is nothing quite like a fresh slice of homemade bread. It’s usually healthier than store bought bread and also much tastier. But making bread can be difficult especially for those who aren’t experience bakers.
Bread making is also time consuming when you consider the time spent kneading the dough and letting the bread rise during the different stages. If you like homemade bread and want to take the guess work out of making it at home, you should purchase a good bread machine.
A quality bread machine does all the hard work for you. Most machines simply require you to add your ingredients and choose the best kneading and baking cycle based on the type of bread you’re making.
You can make many different types of bread in a bread machine including whole wheat and sweet breads like raisin bread. You can also choose to have the machine make the dough for you if you want to make rolls or pizza.
Bread machines are easy to use and there are several options to choose from. The following is a list of the 10 best bread machines based on reviews by consumer report.
10. Breville BBM800XL Custom Loaf Bread Maker
The Breville BBM800XL Custom Load Bread Maker can make many different kinds of bread. It has an automatic fruit and nut dispenser that makes it easy to bake breads that contain fruits and nuts by adding them at the right time during the mixing process.
This bread machine from Breville has many advanced features that allow you to make nearly any type of bread. It comes with 46 recipe ideas that help you make whole wheat, gluten free, yeast free, sweet breads, and many other types of bread.
- 4 different loaf size options
- collapsible kneading paddle minimizes the hole in the bottom of the bread
- smart LCD screen makes it easy to choose among the different settings
- has 46 recipe options
- can make 1, 1.5, 2, or 2.5 pound loaves of bread
- has 3 crust color choices
- takes up a lot of counter space
- machine is pricier than other options
This bread machine has many different settings and choices that allow you to make different types of bread. It’s easy to use with the LCD screen that shows you all the options when you’re choosing the right settings for the type of bread you’re making.
9. Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery 1-Pound-Loaf Programmable Mini Breadmaker
The Zojirushi BB-HAC1- Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker is ideal for homes with limited space as this unit doesn’t require a lot of counter space for usage. It works well for smaller households as it’s designed to make 1 pound loaves of bread.
This bread machine from Zojirushi has an easy to use design. You an program the unit to make different types of bread including french bread or dough. The unit can also make jam, cakes, and dough for making cookies or pasta.
- versatile and can make many different baked goods and other foods
- digital display shows you the time left and the different setting options
- comes with instructions for quick use
- includes a recipe book to help you make your favorite breads at home
- has a delay timer for up to 13 hours
- carrying handle makes it easy to store it away when not in use
- only makes 1 size of bread loaves
- not equipped with a clock like many other bread machines
This small and versatile bread maker works well for small households. It can make different types of bread, cakes, and even homemade jam. The unit has a digital screen that shows you the timer and lets you choose among the various settings.
8. Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker
The Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker is a budget-friendly option for those seeking a versatile and functional break machine for their home. It has a convenient timer that allows you to delay your baking time for up to 13 hours.
This bread maker from Sunbeam is equipped with a large screen that shows you the settings and makes it easy to choose the best options for the type of bread you’re making. The machine is easy to use and has intuitive button controls.
- can make 1.5 or 2 pound loaves
- has 3 different crust settings
- LCD screen makes it easy to choose among the different available functions
- easy to use
- removable nonstick baking pan is easy to clean
- can delay baking to have warm bread ready when you need it
- unit is bulky and requires a lot of counter space for use
- machine weighs almost 20 pounds
This bread machine from Sunbeam is an affordable option if you’re looking for a bread maker that can do many different jobs in the kitchen. It can make different kinds of breads and also has functions for making jam or for making the dough for pizza or sweet rolls.
7. KBS Bread Machine
The KBS Bread Machine is equipped with a built-in microprocessor that monitors and adjusts the heat to ensure bread rises and bakes at the right temperature. This machine has advanced technology that makes delicious bread in your home.
This bread maker from KBS uses patented heaters that generate heat quickly and evenly to make tasty bread each time you use it. The machine can bake up to a 2 pound loaf which is ideal for larger families. It also has 17 different settings.
- high rotating speed makes for thorough kneading
- features 3 crust color options
- has the option to delay baking for up to 15 hours
- has a LCD display that lets you set your machine easily
- comes with a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer
- 1 hour keep warm feature keeps bread warm until you want it
- machine requires a lot of space for usage or storage
- kneading paddle makes large hole in bottom of bread if not removed before baking
This bread machine from KBS is very functional and can be used for much more than making a simple loaf of bread. It can also be used to make jam or to make dough so you can shape the bread the way you want it. There are 3 loaf sizes to choose from so you can make the right amount for your family.
6. SKG 2LB Automatic Programmable Bread Machine
The SKG 2LB Automatic Programmable Bread Machine is designed for convenience. This machine has a setting that can make quick bread in as little as an hour if you’re in a hurry. It has also several other settings for making other types of bread.
This bread machine from SKG can make 3 different size loaves and also has different settings for crust colors. It’s easy to use and has a digital screen that allows you to choose among the different options. The machine features a 15 minute power interruption recovery function.
- keep warm function keeps bread warm for up to an hour after baking
- ergonomic top loading lid has a viewing window
- 15 hour delay timer means you can have freshly baked bread when you want it
- equipped with functions for many types of bread including rye, oatmeal, gluten free, and more
- can make 1, 1.5, or 2 pound loaves
- comes with recipes for making many different types of bread
- pan is not dishwasher safe
- cannot be used with metal utensils
This bread machine from SKG is ideal for those seeking a bread maker that’s versatile and affordable. It can make many types of breads and also has a function for making yogurt and jam. It has a timer and delay function that allows you to have fresh bread whenever you want it.
5. Zojirushi BB-PAC20BA BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker
The Zojirushi Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker has a unique design that allows it to bake bread in a traditional rectangular shape making it ideal for cutting up to used for sandwich bread. This unit also has several settings for baking different types of bread.
This bread machine from Zojirushi is equipped with several advanced features that make it stand out from other bread machines. It has an extra heating element in the lid that makes the bread bake evenly all around for an even colored crust.
- comes with a measuring spoon and cup
- bakes a traditional shaped 2 pound loaf
- has custom settings for gluten free and other types of bread
- can be used to bake nearly any type of bread
- dual kneading blades knead dough thoroughly
- quick baking cycle can make bread in around 2 hours
- machine is shaped differently than others and requires more counter space
- not equipped with dispenser for nuts or fruit
This bread machine from Zojirushi has advanced features that make it easy to make different kinds of bread, including gluten free. The machine has two paddles for thorough kneading. The added heated in the lid makes the bread bake evenly all over.
4. SKG Automatic Bread Machine
The SKG Automatic Bread Machine is perfect for those who have no experience making bread at home. This machine is very user-friendly. It has a digital display screen and the controls are easy to navigate so you can choose among the different baking options.
This bread machine from SKG comes with recipes to help you learn how to make many different types of bread at home. The machine can make the following: corn bread, french bread, basic bread, whole wheat bread, and even has settings for jam and yogurt.
- can make 3 loaf sizes: 1 pound, 1.5 pound, and 2 pound
- designed to be easy to use, even for beginners
- has 3 crust color options
- has a 15 hour delay timer
- bread pan is designed to make bread that’s evenly dense throughout
- machine has 19 different programs
- pan is not dishwasher safe
- machine releases a lot of heat through the top vent
This bread machine from SKG is designed to be easy to use. It has 19 different settings and comes with a manual that provides you with a recipe for each setting. It can make most types of breads and also has settings to make homemade yogurt or jam.
3. Cuisinart CBK-100 2 LB Bread Maker
The Cuisinart CBK-100 2 LB Bread Maker is equipped with a viewing window on the lid so you can see the progress of your bread while it’s kneading, rising, and baking. The 13 hour delay timer means that you can have fresh bread whenever you want it.
This bread machine from Cuisinart has a removable lid, paddle, and bread pan so that you can clean them easily. The handles on the machine are designed to stay cool while the machine is on. The various settings and lower price tag make this machine ideal for beginners to the world of bread making.
- includes measuring cup and spoon
- has 12 pre-programmed options
- handles stay cool during the entire bread making process
- has a gluten free setting
- easy to use control panel
- sleek and modern style that looks great on your counter
- machine is loud and beeps frequently during the cycle
- delay timer doesn’t work for the dough cycle
This bread machine from Cuisinart has many different functions for baking different types of bread. It works well for those who want to set the machine to make bread while they’re away for the day since it has a 13 hour timer.
2. Oster Ckstbrtw20 2-pound Expressbake Breadmaker
The Oster Expressbake Breadmaker works well for larger families as it can make up to a 2 pound loaf of bread. This machine is easy to use, even for beginners, and it has a large digital display window that shows you the different settings.
This bread machine from Oster is budget-friendly and ideal for those seeking a simple bread machine that can still do several different jobs in the kitchen. It can bake many different kinds of breads and can also make various types of dough and fresh jam.
- has 12 different bread settings
- 3 crust settings allow you to choose crust color based on your personal preferences
- ExpressBake setting can bake bread in under an hour
- 13 hour timer allows you to choose the time when you want your bread to be ready
- intuitive button controls make it easy to operate
- has a 40″ cord length
- doesn’t automatically add nuts or dried fruit
- paddle may be difficult to clean
This affordable bread machine can make up to a 2 pound loaf of bread. It has 3 different crust settings and has various programs for making nearly any kind of bread. You can also set the machine to dough cycle to make pizza dough or other breads that you shape yourself.
1. Hamilton Beach 29882C HomeBaker Breadmaker
The Hamilton Beach 2988C HomeBaker Breadmaker is an affordable bread machine that can make a 1.5 pound loaf or a 2 pound loaf. It also has express settings for both loaf sizes so you can have fresh bread in less time.
This bread machine can make many different types of breads with the builtin settings. It has an audible reminder that tells you when to add fruit or nuts to your bread. The machine also can make dough, jam, and certain types of cakes.
- 12 settings including gluten free
- has different crust settings
- large digital display makes it easy to change the settings
- can make nearly any type of bread or dough
- comes with 2 kneading paddles
- pan and paddles are dishwasher safe
- machine is loud during kneading and mixing
- depending on the density of the bread, the paddle can make a large hole while baking
This budget-friendly bread machine from Hamilton Beach is designed to make many different types of bread so you can save money and always have access to fresh bread at home. It has several different programs and can also make dough for pizza, rolls, or sweet breads.
Bread machines are very convenient to have when you like to make homemade bread but you don’t have the time or patience to do it by hand. There are many options to choose from when you’re shopping for a bread machine. Some have a very basic design and a more affordable price tag. Other machines may have advanced features but the price is usually higher.
Most machines are able to make different types of bread and can bake different loaf sizes. If you like making your own dough for things like pizza, cinnamon rolls, or breadsticks, you should choose a machine that has a dough setting. By reading online consumer reviews you can choose the best bread machine for the money you want to spend.