Having hard water can cause many different issues in your home. Hard water can cause problems with your hair and skin. The elements found in hard water can also clog drains, pipes, and make your appliances work less efficiently than intended.
If you begin to notice that your clothes washer or dish washer isn’t working as expected, it may be due to hard water conditions in your home. Having hard water is a problem that many people deal with, especially those with well water. This problem can be solved by adding a water softener to your home.
Water softeners are designed to eliminate the common issues that come from using hard water inside your home. They come in several different types with some being easier to install than others. Some water softening systems may require some knowledge of plumbing for the installation process while others can be done by anyone.
It’s important to read the specifications of the water softener to ensure you purchase one that is designed to work for your specific needs. The following is a list of the 10 best water softeners by consumer report.
- 10. ABCwaters Triple Combo Whole House Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Grain Water Softener System
- 9. Aquasana 6-Year, 600,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
- 8. iSpring #UVF55 Whole House UV Disinfection System
- 7. ABCwaters built Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Water Softener with Upflow Carbon Filtration
- 6. Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter with Professional Installation Kit
- 5. Iron Pro 2 Combination water softener iron filter
- 4. 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon Well Water Whole House Filter
- 3. ABCwaters Built Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Black WATER SOFTENER
- 2. PENTAIR Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 grain Water Softener
- 1. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener Whole House System
10. ABCwaters Triple Combo Whole House Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Grain Water Softener System
The ABCwaters Triple Combo Whole House System is a complete water softening system that can work for your entire house. This system includes everything needed for installation. The package also includes the option for technical support if you need help installing.
This water softening system from ABCwaters uses reverse osmosis to filter and soften your water. The 5-stage filtration system has an efficient design so that it easily removes the contaminants from your water to improve the entire water supply in your home.
- produces a 1:1 ratio of waste water to clean drinking water
- reverse osmosis removes up to 96% of contaminants
- carbon filtration system removes many impurities that affect the taste of your water
- comes with installation kit and guides
- designed to filter your entire house
- included Fleck valves has a 5 year warranty
- pricier than many other water softeners
- installation can be difficult if you have no prior experience
This whole house water filtration system softens your water and also filters it for healthier and better tasting drinking water. The package comes with everything you need for installation. This system is designed for use in households with 2 to 5 people.
9. Aquasana 6-Year, 600,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
The Aquasana 6-Year Whole House Water Filter is designed to filter up to 600,000 gallons of water. This system has a high performance filtration capability to make your water taste better and be more effective when used for other tasks in your home.
This water filtration system has no drainage and creates no waste water making it ideal for those who are seeking an environmentally friendly water softener. It includes the tank, 10″ pre-filter, couplings, and valves needed for installation.
- can remove 97% of chlorine from every tap in your home
- also reduces other contaminants like lead, mercury, and pesticides
- helps provide you with better water for healthier skin and hair
- relatively easy to install
- reduces or removes the most common contaminants found in water
- works for the entire house
- doesn’t include the PEX tubing needed for installation
- not designed to remove fluoride
This water filtration system is designed to remove minerals and other impurities in your water supply for better tasting and healthier water throughout your home. The system comes with most of what’s needed for installation and can be installed quickly without any specialized plumbing knowledge.
8. iSpring #UVF55 Whole House UV Disinfection System
The iSpring Whole House UV Disinfection System is designed to be durable and long-lasting. It comes with a 3-year warranty from the manufacturer and also has support for the lifetime of the system. It uses advanced technology to make your water safe to drink.
This sanitation system for your whole house water supply is easy to install and use. It’s designed to eliminate many of the most common harmful contaminants in your water. The system provides minimal pressure loss so as not to decrease your water pressure noticeably.
- uses UV light to kill contaminants
- disinfects bacteria, protozoan cysts, and viruses
- has a durable stainless steel chamber
- uses Phillips brand lamps that last around 9,000 hours
- makes your entire water supply safe for drinking
- equipped with an electronic ballast with visual and audible alarm
- this unit may require professional installation
- replacement bulbs can be pricey
This water treatment system not only removes minerals to soften water, but it’s also capable of eliminating harmful substances that can often be found in water sources. The system comes with everything you need for installation and doesn’t take up a lot of space once installed.
7. ABCwaters built Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Water Softener with Upflow Carbon Filtration
The ABCwaters Built Fleck Water Softener with Upflow Carbon Filtration includes the complete package with everything you need for installation in your home. This whole house system uses upflow carbon filtration and also softens your water.
This system from ABCwaters has a recommended service flow of up to 12 gallons per minute and is designed for use in a home with around 2 to 5 people. The Fleck valve included with this package comes with a 5 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- eco-friendly upflow design eliminates the need to backwash
- it requires no drain line and no electricity for usage
- system also produces no waste water
- environmentally friendly and efficient
- includes everything you need for installation
- uses natural carbon to filter water and remove impurities
- instructions for installation may be confusing for those with no prior experience
- you may need to purchase extra tubing depending on the plumbing setup in your home
This water softener and filtration system uses an environmentally friendly method to filter your water and remove impurities. This upflow system doesn’t create waste water and it works without electricity. The package includes installation materials but you may need professional installation.
6. Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter with Professional Installation Kit
The Aquasana 10-Year Whole House Water Filter system includes everything needed for professional installation. This system is somewhat complicated to install in your home so you may need to hire a plumber if you don’t have any knowledge of plumbing installation.
This system from Aquasana can remove around 97% of chlorine from your entire household water supply. This can improve the taste of your drinking water and also helps prevent your hair and skin from being exposed to excessive amounts of chlorine.
- comes with everything needed for installation
- designed for use with 0.75″ pipes
- can be used for 10 years or with 1 million gallons of water
- high-performance so as not to effect your water pressure
- includes shut-off valves and fittings
- no draining, back flushing or water waste
- doesn’t include PEX tubing
- can’t remove fluoride from your water
This water filtration system has a life of around 10 years or 1,000,000 gallons of water. The system is designed to filter and soften the water in your entire house. It comes with all the things you need for a professional grade installation.
5. Iron Pro 2 Combination water softener iron filter
The Iron Pro 2 Combination water softener and iron filter has a high flow rate for whole house use. This system is designed so as not to significantly affect the water pressure in your home. It removes many of the most common water contaminants.
This water filtration system and softener is relatively simple to install compared to some other systems. It includes DIY instructions for installation which can help those who have no experience in plumbing projects. It also comes with the brine tank and bypass valve.
- removes hardness up to 75 gpg
- has a 64,000 grain capacity
- equipped with fine mesh resin for maximum iron removal
- removes iron, hardness, rust, sand, manganese, and more from your water supply
- includes Fleck digital metered valve for efficiency
- comes with 5 year warranty from the manufacturer
- may be difficult to install if you’re installing in a home without a previous water softener
- you may have to adjust the hardness settings on the unit to get the best results
This water softener and iron filtration system is designed to remove many solids from your water supply. It can be used to filter the whole house so you have clean water for drinking, bathing, and cleaning. The system includes the Fleck valve to help it work efficiently.
4. 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon Well Water Whole House Filter
This whole house water filter and softener system from Aquasana is designed to last for 5 years or to filter up to 500,000 gallons of water. This system reduces scale and can also remove up to 97% of chlorine in your water to improve the taste.
This water softener and filter is environmentally friendly and designed to conserve resources in your home. It doesn’t require electricity for use and it creates no waste water. The system also needs not draining or back flushing.
- salt-free system
- uses powerful UV filtration to kill viruses, bacteria, and other harmful contaminants
- helps reduce vaporization of chemicals in your shower
- efficient to use and doesn’t require electricity
- can reduce scale up to 99.6%
- provides healthy and tasty water for the entire home
- doesn’t come with PEX tubing
- may be difficult to deal with warranty if something goes wrong
This water filtration and softening system from Aquasana makes your entire water supply taste better and also makes it safer to drink. The system removes many harmful contaminants and also greatly reduces scale and chlorine in your water.
3. ABCwaters Built Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Black WATER SOFTENER
The ABCwaters Built Fleck Water Softener comes in a complete whole house system. This water softener is controlled by the well-known and reliable Fleck digital valve meter. It has a capacity of 48,000 grains and is equipped with an upgraded resin for a 10% longer lifespan than similar options.
This water softening system from ABCwaters is recommended for use in a household with 2 to 5 people. The system uses high quality parts and is designed to last. The included Fleck valve comes with a 5 year warranty and you also have the option of using tech support if you need it.
- includes installation kit
- system is built using 2 tanks made in America
- pre-loaded mineral tanks mean less work before installation
- Fleck valve is pre-programmed to prevent guess work
- both tanks include a 10 year warranty from the manufacturer
- includes many extras that other systems don’t have
- not ideal for removing high concentrations of iron
- system requires a large amount of space for installation
This water softener from ABCwaters can remove many common impurities in your water. The system includes instructions and optional tech support if you need help with installation. The Fleck valve is designed to work efficiently and last through heavy duty usage.
2. PENTAIR Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 grain Water Softener
The PENTAIR Fleck water softener comes in a complete system that includes the brine tank, mineral tank,v valve with bypass, and a 1″ yoke. This system has the popular Fleck valve which is designed to work effectively and efficiently.
This water softener has a resin that’s designed to be more resistant to city water that contains large concentrations of chlorine. It works effectively to remove the smell and taste of chlorine from your water and can also reduce many other contaminants.
- includes 10% upgraded resin for better performance
- easy installation
- has Fleck 5600sxt digital metered control head
- provides reliable long-lasting water treatment
- ideal for use with municipal water that contains a lot of chlorine
- has a 48,00 grain capacity
- bypass valve is made of plastic and may not last
- may use significantly more salt than other systems
This water softener from PENTAIR has an on-demand water system that adjusts depending on your water usage. This helps to make less waste water and use less salt during filtering. The system includes everything you need for installation.
1. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener Whole House System
The Fleck Whole House water softening system is a budget-friendly option for those seeking a more affordable way to treat hard water in their home. This system comes with the Fleck bypass valve which is very efficient at softening your entire water supply.
This water softener from Fleck is able to treat moderate to very hard water. It has a 12 gallon per minute flow rate and is designed to work in households with up to 6 people. The high capacity cross linked resin means the system is able to remove many different impurities effectively.
- includes 1″ male threaded yoke connection
- the included black square brine tank is equipped with a safety float
- has 48,000 grain capacity
- more affordable than many other options
- designed to soften water in even the most extreme situations
- made with durable materials and designed to last
- no indicator for telling you when the salt is low
- drainage tubing needs to be purchased separately
This whole house water softening system is one of the more budget-friendly options avaialble. It can be used in a house with severe cases of hard water and can keep up with demand for a family of up to 6 people. The system has a durable Fleck bypass valve.
If you have hard water in your home, you’ve likely dealt with issues related to plumbing or even concerns with your skin or hair. Hard water can prevent your appliances from working correctly as it can cause build up in your dishwasher or clothes washer.
This can mean your dishes come out not looking completely clean and can also prevent your clothes from being washed properly. Hard water can also stain your tub, shower, and fixtures and require intense scrubbing to remove the residue.
By installing a quality water softening system in your home, you can eliminate these problems. There are several different types of systems that are designed to prevent hard water problems.
Some of them also reduce potentially harmful substances in your water like bacteria and viruses. If you read online reviews and compare the different options available you can choose the best one to meet your needs based on the water situation in your home.