When the winter season comes around, you may start thinking about the bad weather that often comes with it. If you live in an area that gets heavy snow during the winter you’ve probably experienced the issues that can occur when you have a lot of snow around your home.
One of the best ways to remove this snow is to use a quality snow blowing machine. A snow blower can make snow removal much quicker and easier. Plus, you don’t have to work nearly as hard to get the snow out of the way as you would if your were using a shovel.
There are many different snow blower options available. They come in different sizes with various features that work for different situations. If you get frequent heavy snows in your area throughout the winter, you may want to invest the extra money into a heavy duty machine that can handle all that snow.
Those who have infrequent snows may want to choose a less pricey machine that can do basic snow removal when needed. The following is a list of the 10 best snow blowers by consumer report.
10. Husqvarna ST224 24-Inch 208cc Two Stage Electric Start Snow Blower
The Husqvarna ST224 24-Inch Electric Start Snow Blower includes a powerful engine that’s designed to last. This blower has an electric start so you don’t have to waste time with a manual start that can expend extra energy when you’re outdoors in cold temperatures.
This snow blower from Husqvarna is a heavy duty machine that works well for areas that get lots of snow throughout the year. It has large tires that are designed to move easily on snow and ice so you don’t have to worry about the machine slipping while you’re using it.
- 208cc Husqvarna engine
- remote chute deflector/remote chute rotator
- equipped with 15″ tires
- adjustable skid shoes helps the machine work on different surfaces
- handle height can be adjusted for comfort
- machine features LED headlights for low light conditions
- snow blower weighs almost 200 pounds
- some parts on the machine are not made of the highest quality materials
This snow blower from Husqvarna has a powerful engine that’s designed to handle heavy snow easily. This machine comes with large wheels that make it easy to move around different terrain. It has an adjustable chute so you can throw the snow where you want it.
9. Snow Joe Ultra SJ618E 18-Inch 13-Amp Electric Snow Thrower
The Snow Joe Ultra Electric Snow Thrower is a compact and affordable machine that can do light duty snow removal from your sidewalks, driveway, and other areas. It’s powered by electricity which means you don’t have to worry about maintenance.
This snow thrower from Snow Joe comes equipped with a durable 2-blade auger that’s designed to cut 18″ by 8″ deep with each pass to help decrease the amount of time it takes to clear small to medium size areas. The machine is easy to use and fairly lightweight.
- includes a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer
- has a powerful 13 amp motor
- 2 blade auger cuts through ice and snow easily
- requires little maintenance
- can move up to 550 pounds of snow per minute
- works well for small to medium size driveways and walkways
- not equipped with lights
- power cord can limit your mobility
This electric snow thrower from Snow Joe is designed to work for areas where you don’t need to move around in large spaces due to cord restriction. This machine is lightweight and easy to use. It has a powerful 2 blade auger that can cut through snow quickly.
8. Husqvarna ST224P Snowthrower
The Husqvarna ST224P Snowthrower has power steering so you don’t have to struggle to get the machine to go where you want it. It comes with an electric start that makes it easy to start the machine even during extremely cold weather.
This snow thrower from Husqvarna has LED headlights that help you work even when you don’t have good lighting. The machine has a sturdy base that helps you work through heavy snow and ice. It has a 24″ clearing path to help you work efficiently.
- gas-powered so you can take it anywhere
- equipped with 2 stage electric start
- chute can rotate 180 degrees so you can blow snow in desired direction
- powerful machine with wide clearing path to save time
- includes a 3 year limited warranty from the manufacturer
- heated grip handles make it easier to work in extreme temperatures
- this machine is heavy and weighs just under 200 pounds
- heavy duty features make this snow thrower pricier than other available options
This heavy duty snow thrower from Husqvarna is ideal for those who live in a climate that frequently gets heavy snow. This machine has power steering and is easy to use on different terrain. It has a wide clearing area to help you save time when you’re removing snow.
7. YARDMAX YB5765 Two-Stage Snow Blower
The YARDMAX YB5765 Two-Stage Snow Blower comes with an engine that’s designed to be easy to start, even in extreme cold. This snow blower has a self-propelled drive. It’s equipped with multiple speeds to help you work on different terrain.
This snow blower from YARDMAX can easily sliced through hard packed ice and snow making ideal for those who live in cold climates where heavy snow is frequent during the winter. It has a high-speed impeller that consumers more snow in less time compared to other machines.
- 22″ wide clearing area
- comes with 5 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds
- axe-shaped housing slices through snow and ice easily
- allow steel gears help extend the life of the machine
- quick start engine saves time
- extended chute works to maintain a tighter discharge of snow
- machine doesn’t include headlights
- this snow blower doesn’t have a control dashboard to help you choose among the different options
This snow blower from YARDMAX is smaller and lower priced than many others but still has some of the advanced features found on other machines. It has an engine that’s designed to start easily so you don’t waste time when clearing snow and ice from your property.
6. Greenworks 20-Inch 13 Amp Corded Snow Thrower
The Greenworks 13 Amp Corded Snow Thrower is ideal for anyone who needs a machine that can remove snow from a small area. It comes with an electric power cord so you never have to run inside to recharge a battery or refill it with fuel.
This electric snow blower from Greenworks has a smooth operation and makes less noise than many other similar machines. It has dependable power so you don’t have to worry about issues with your snow blower when you experience snow and need to clear your paths and driveways.
- folding handle makes this machine easy to store when not in use
- has a clearing width of 20″
- push button start saves time
- machine is easy to use and relatively maintenance free
- LED light helps you see in low light conditions
- it can clear a depth of up to 10″
- electric cord limits the area in which you can clear snow
- plastic auger may not cut through thick ice like some other machines
This electric powered snow blower from Greenworks is lightweight and easy to use. It has a folding handle so you can store the machine away during the off season. It can clear a width of 20 inches at a time and works well for snow up to 10 inches deep.
5. Snow Joe 323E 13-Inch 10-Amp Electric Snow Shovel
The Snow Joe 10-Amp Electric Snow Shovel is a great option for those who experience light or infrequent snow but still need a way to clear their driveway or sidewalk. This unit has a shovel design with a powerful motor that can remove up to 400 pounds of snow per minute.
This electric snow removal machine from Snow Joe is compact and easy to store when you’re not using it. The ergonomic design makes this snow blower easy to use and efficient in removing light amounts of snow. It has a maximum thrown distance of 20 feet.
- comes with a 2-blade paddle auger
- can clear a 13″ path
- machine can work on a depth of up to 6″ of snow
- works well for quick cleanups of patios, driveways, and sidewalks
- includes a 2 year warranty
- powerful 10 Amp motor works quickly to clear snow
- not ideal for deep snow or large areas
- power cord limits the space in which you can move around to clear the snow
This electric snow shovel can clear snow up to 6″ deep from areas around your home. This machine has an ergonomic design for comfort. It works well if you live in a climate where heavy snow is infrequent but you still need a machine to work for those occasional snowstorms.
4. Snow Joe iON13SS 40-volt Cordless Snow Shovel
The Snow Joe iON13SS 40-volt Cordless Snow Shovel comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery which is convenient and easy since you don’t have to worry about a power cord. This machine requires little maintenance and no refilling or fuel or oil checkups.
This snow blower shovel from Snow Joe works well for areas with light amounts of snow. It’s easy to use and has a design that mimics a manual shovel. The 2 blade paddle auger on this snow blower can throw snow up to 20 feet away.
- includes an Ecosharp rechargeable battery
- works for snow up to 6″ deep
- clears a 13″ path
- lightweight and very easy to use
- snow blower can be used anywhere since it doesn’t have a power cord
- can move up to 300 pounds of snow per minute
- small machine isn’t ideal for those who deal with frequent heavy snow storms
- recharging the battery can be a hassle if you’re dealing with a lot of snow
This snow blower is designed like a standard snow shovel but with the power of a lithium ion battery to help you move the snow from your patio, driveway, or walkway. It works well for smaller areas with snow up to 6″ deep and can clear a 13″ wide path with each pass of the machine.
3. Earthwise SN70010 10-Inch Wide 9-Amp Electric Snow Thrower
The Earthwise SN70010 Electric Snow Thrower is perfect for small areas with light snowfall. This unit has a snow shovel design that makes it easy to use in tight spaces where you wouldn’t have room to use a full size snow blower.
This snow thrower from Earthwise can clear a path 10″ wide. It comes with a relatively powerful motor for its size and has up to 4000 RPM to help you get your area clear of snow quickly. This machine has 2 placed strategically on the machine to help you work efficiently without tiring quickly.
- can move up to 300 pounds of snow per minute
- is designed to work on snow up to 5″ deep
- 9 Amp motor works efficiently to help you clear your driveway or walkway
- unit is small and requires less storage space than most
- lightweight machine makes for easier work
- can throw snow 25 feet away
- not designed for use on large areas
- power cord limits your range of movement
This electric powered snow thrower from Earthwise is ideal for small areas where you don’t have deep snow to deal with. It would be a good option for those who live in a climate where deep snow is rare. This machine is easy to use and requires little maintenance.
2. Snow Joe Ultra SJ623E 18-Inch 15-Amp Electric Snow Thrower
The Snow Joe Ultra SJ623E Electric Snow Thrower has a powerful 15 Amp motor to help you clear your sidewalks and driveways quickly and efficiently. This machine can be used for medium to large size spaces and is ideal for climates where heavy snow is frequent.
This snow thrower from Snow Joe requires no tune-ups, fuel refills, or oil checks so the maintenance is little to none. It has an adjustable chute that can be turned 180 degrees so that you’re able to throw the snow in the desired direction easily.
- can throw up to 720 pounds of snow per minute
- includes a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer
- adjustable chute throws snow 25 feet
- powerful motor clears paths quickly
- machine is ETL approved
- blower has effortless start to save time
- electric power cord can limit the area in which you can move without using extension cords
- this machine doesn’t have large tread wheels which can slow it down in some conditions
This compact but powerful snow thrower can move snow up to 15 feet from the area you’re clearing. You can adjust the chute to throw the snow out of your way. This machine also includes a light to help you clear snow in low light conditions.
1. Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower
The Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Snow Blower has a brushless motor that helps the battery last longer. This machine includes a rechargeable lithium ion battery so you don’t have to worry about being limited by a power cord when clearing large areas.
This snow blower from Snow Joe includes an LED headlight that can help you clear snow in the early morning or after dark. The machine weighs only 32 pounds which makes it easy to move around or to put into storage when you don’t need it.
- machine is quiet compared to most others
- rechargeable battery can work for up to 50 minutes on one full charge
- the steel auger with 2 rubber blades can move up to 495 pounds of snow per minute
- machine is lightweight but still powerful
- it can be used to cut snow up to 8″ deep
- this blower cuts an 18″ wide path to make quick work of heavy snow
- if you’re clearing large areas you may have to stop to recharge the battery
- not ideal for heavy wet snow
This machine works well for clearing paved area with snow up to 8″ deep. It includes the lithium ion battery and the battery charger for convenience. This machine is designed to clear up to 495 pounds of snow per minute to help you make quick work of snowfall around your home.
When choosing a snow blower it’s important to compare the different options based on their prices and features. Some snow blowers are easy to start up which helps save you time. Others may require a bit of warming up to get started and this process can be frustrating if you’re standing in the cold trying to get your machine to work. Quality snow blowing machines do most of the work for you so that you aren’t straining and working hard in very cold temperatures.
To choose a good machine for the money it can be helpful to read online consumer reviews. These reviews can provide you with objective information on how well the machine works and whether it’s worth the price.