A wood burning stove can add warmth to your space. They can be used in small homes to heat the entire house. They are also to heat individual rooms in houses with the larger square footage. A wood burning stove can also make for a cozy atmosphere in your living room, bedroom, or family room.
These stoves use wood for fuel so you never have to worry about paying a gas or electric bill. This can save money and also help to ensure your home is heated if you don’t have access to other fuel sources.
Choosing the right wood burning stove for your home will depend on several factors. The size of the space you wish to heat may be the most important consideration. You should also consider how much space you have for a wood stove in your home.
These units need venting for safe use so you may need to hire a professional for the installation process. The following is a list of the 10 best wood burning stoves by consumer report.
10. Pleasant Hearth WS-2720 1800 sq. ft. Wood Stove with Leg Base
The Pleasant Hearth WS-2710 Wood Stove with Leg Base is designed to heat a space up to 1800 square feet making it ideal as the primary heat source in many homes. It comes partially assembled but requires some minor assembly before use.
This wood burning fireplace from Pleasant Hearth comes with a 5 year limited warranty from the manufacturer. It has chrome handles to add an element of style to your space. It comes with an instructional DVD to help you assemble the unit and get it ready for use in your home.
- brick lined fire box for durability
- has a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer
- EPA certified and WA state approved
- compact but still able to heat a large space
- has a timeless look that will fit in with your decor
- has an efficiency level of 82%
- requires assembly before installation
- doesn’t include the blower
This fireplace can be used as your primary heat source in many homes and can heat a space up to 1800 square feet in size. It works efficiently and can be ideal in areas where you need a heat source that is not dependent on electrical power.
9. US Stove 2200i EPA Certified Wood Burning Fireplace Insert
The US Stove 2200i EPA Certified Wood Burning Fireplace Insert is designed to be used in an existing fireplace setup. It has a clean burning design so you don’t have to worry about excessive smoke or soot. This unit has a stylish look that will enhance any room.
This wood burning fireplace is designed to heat a space with a size up to 1800 square feet so you can use it to heat your entire home if you have a smaller space. It’s easy to install in an existing fireplace and can be a good option so you don’t have to purchase an entire replacement fireplace.
- it’s EPA certified for clean burning
- has an 18″ log capacity
- includes the surround for easy installation
- comes with the blower
- easy and quick installation
- can heat an entire home up to 1800 square feet
- isn’t a free-standing unit
- doesn’t come with some of the materials needed for installation
This wood burning fireplace insert is stylish and versatile. It includes detailed instructions to help you install it in your home. The large cast iron feed door and 18″ log capacity means that you’re able to use many different types of wood.
8. Vogelzang TR001 Defender EPA Wood Stove
The Vogelzang TR001 Defender EPA Wood Stove has a timeless look that will fit in with your other decor in a living room, den, family room, or bedroom. This stove heats efficiently and can be used as a primary heat source for up to 1200 square feet.
This wood burning stove from Vogelzang is a free-standing unit that doesn’t have to be inserted into an existing fireplace. The legs on the stove are adjustable so you can position the stove where you want it in your home.
- cast iron feed door with large window
- adjustable legs for easy installation
- heats up to 68,000 BTUs
- burns several hours on one fueling
- made with heavy-gauge plate steel for durability
- has a brick-lined firebox
- not designed for use in as large a space of some comparable units
- only designed for heating, has no cook top
This wood burning fireplace is ideal for use in smaller spaces. It can heat a home up to 1200 square feet. The brick-lined firebox is designed for durability and longevity.
7. HiFlame Epa Approved Wood Burning Stove HF905U
The HiFlame EPA Approved Wood Burning Stove is certified for use in Washington state and has been approved by the EPA for use as a cleaning burning stove. It has also been Omni tested to provide you with confidence that you’re buying a quality product.
This wood burning stove is non-catalytic. It comes with a warranty from the manufacturer and customer service if you ever have a question or issue. This unit has a high-tech design with a classic look.
- has a high-tech firebox for clean burning
- fits a 6″ stove pipe
- comes with a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer
- can be used with top or rear flue outlet
- has an air-washed door for easy viewing
- easy to install
- can only accommodate 12″ logs
- not able to heat larger spaces like other fireplaces
This wood burning stove has a clean burning design so you don’t have to worry about soot and smoke. The viewing window provides a beautiful glow in your home. This fireplace is ideal for use in smaller spaces and homes.
6. Hi-Flame Shetland HF905U Extra Small Wood Burning Stove
The Hi-Flame Shetland HF905U Extra Small Wood Burning Stove has a compact design so you can use it in small spaces. This fireplace can be installed quickly compared to other similar style units.
This small fireplace from Hi-Flame is designed to heat spaces up to 800 square feet making it great for use in a cabin, small home, or vacation getaway. It has a maximum heat output of 21,000 BTUs.
- warms up very fast to heat the room up quickly
- small design to fit easily into small rooms
- uses a 6″ flue
- allows you to use the top or rear flue depending on your setup
- can use logs with a max length of 12″
- has clean burning tertiary air
- not designed for use in larger spaces
- has a smaller viewing window than many due to its smaller size
This small fireplace is ideal if you have limited space and need to only heat an area up to 800 square feet. It’s EPA approved and designed to burn clean. This fireplace works quickly to heat up your space and is easy to install.
5. Cubic Cub Mini Wood Stove – CB-1008
The Cubic Cub Mini Wood Stove is extremely small but efficient for its size. This super compact stove has been designed for use in boats, RVs, and tiny houses. It’s easy to install and doesn’t require much room for installation.
This tiny stove from Cubic has insulation and glass made of ceramic for durability. It has a modern but rugged design. The unit is black in color with brass accents.
- has a 3″ diameter for flue pipe
- measures 11″ by 12″ by 10.5″
- lightweight and easy to install
- can put out anywhere from 6000 to 14000 BTU
- made of durable materials
- produces very little smoke
- extremely small and limited in how much it can heat
- only recommended for use in boats, small houses, and RVs up to 40′ long
This tiny wood burning stove can work well in your travel trailer, tiny house, or house boat. It weighs only 27 pounds and is easy to install. It also burns clean so you don’t have to worry about smoke.
4. US Stove 2000 EPA Certified Wood Stove
The US Stove 2000 EPA Certified Wood Stove comes in a medium size so it’s versatile for use in different size spaces. This stove can heat an area up to 2000 square feet making it great as your primary source of heat in homes that size and smaller.
This wood burning stove from US Stove is made of durable materials and has a design that is created to last. It has been EPA certified as a clean burning stove without causing excessive smoke and soot. It includes much of what is needed for installation.
- comes with blower
- includes ash drawer
- can accommodate logs up to 21″ long
- larger in size than many comparable models based on price
- efficient to use
- can heat large spaces
- heavy and more difficult to install than smaller stoves
- it needs a minimum chimney height of at least 12″
This larger capacity stove can work in spaces up to 2000 square feet. It heats quickly and efficiently. The stove includes most of what you need for installation and usage like the ash tray and the blower.
3. Pleasant Hearth 2,200 Square Feet Wood Burning Stove
The Pleasant Hearth 2,200 Square Feet Wood Burning Stove is large in size and ideal for use in bigger spaces. This unit can heat an entire home under 2,200 square feet and works well as a primary heat source so you don’t have to worry about paying an electric or gas bill.
This large wood burning fireplace from Pleasant Hearth has a timeless look that will be the focal point of any room. It can be used in a living room, den, family room, or other large space. This unit can burn for up to 10 hours with one fueling.
- is a freestanding unit with legs
- easy to install
- comes with a variable speed blower needed for use
- can produce up to 77,000 BTUs
- has a sliding draft control above the door
- EPA certified and Omni tested
- larger than many other units so it requires a larger place for installation
- this unit is heavy and weighs 354 pounds
This large wood burning fireplace is ideal for big rooms. It comes with the blower needed for installation. It has been EPA certified and is designed to be clean burning. It heats up quickly and efficiently to warm your space.
2. Vogelzang TR004 Colonial EPA Wood Stove
The Vogelzang TR001 Colonial EPA Wood Stove is a fireplace insert that’s designed to be placed into an existing fireplace. This makes for quick and easy installation so you can begin using your fire and warming up your home efficiently.
This wood burning fireplace from Vogelzang has a cast iron and glass feed door with a large viewing window so you can see the fire and add a cozy atmosphere to your home. It also has a large hearth surround included that helps with installation and adds a beautiful look to your space.
- easy installation into existing fireplace
- efficiently heats a space up to 1800 square feet
- can burn up to 8 hours on one fueling
- stylish cast iron look
- has a durable brick firebox lining
- constructed of heavy gauge reinforced place steel
- is not free-standing so it limits where you can install the unit
- can only accommodate logs up to 18″
This fireplace insert is designed to heat efficiently and warm up your room quickly. It installs into an existing fireplace and can put out up to 69,600 BTUs. The unit is made of durable materials, including cast iron and steel, which means it’s designed to last through many seasons of cold weather.
1. Drolet High-Efficiency Wood Stove
The Drolet High-Efficiency Wood Stove is designed to work at 78% efficiency so you don’t have to worry about wasting fuel. It comes with a large ash drawer so you can easily empty it as needed. This unit is freestanding and easy to install in your home.
This wood burning fireplace can heat a space up to 2400 square foot which gives it one of the largest heating capacities of stoves its size. It is made of durable materials, including cast iron for longevity of use throughout many fall and winter months.
- rugged build with 5/16″ steel top plate
- spacious firebox lined with brick
- can accept logs up to 22″ in length
- freestanding unit that’s easy to install
- heavy duty cast iron door has an adjustable handle
- extra large in size to heat bigger spaces than most other similar fireplaces
- weighs 555 pounds which makes installation a challenge without assistance
- emptying the ash pan can be messy
This large wood burning fireplace is designed to heat spaces up to 2400 square feet. It’s made of durable and heavy duty materials so that you can feel confident it will last. It’s a free standing unit that can be installed in many different rooms in your home.
Choosing a wood burning fireplace can be difficult if you don’t do a bit of research. One of the main considerations when choosing the best option is the size of the space you want to heat. Some fireplaces are designed to be used in smaller homes while others can heat larger spaces. You should also consider the type of fireplace you are able to install. If you have an existing fireplace and want an easy installation process, you can choose a fireplace insert that simply fits into your old fireplace. You also have many freestanding options.
Another thing to consider when choosing a fireplace is the blower. Some come with a blower and some require you to purchase one separately if you need it. By comparing the BTU level of each of the options you’re looking at, you can get a good idea of their heating capability. There are some fireplaces that have ash trays that make cleaning out the fireplace easier. Others may even allow you to cook soup or heat up water on top of the stove if needed. By reading online reviews from other consumers you can choose the best option for the money you want to spend.