When cold weather sets in you may need to look for an additional method to heat your home. There are many different options when it comes to heaters that are designed to work as supplemental heat sources.
One option many people prefer is infrared heating technology. Infrared heaters work differently than regular space heaters. Where a space heater will simply heat the air, an infrared heater uses electromagnetic radiation to transfer heat to an object with a colder temperature. They are designed to better direct the heat to people which can save energy.
There are many different options when it comes to infrared heating devices. They come in a wide range of prices and are available in different sizes. When choosing the best infrared heater you should consider the area in which you wish to use the heater.
Some of these types of heaters are relatively lightweight so you can move them from room to room if desired. Others are larger and designed in a style where they can be left in one area. The following is a list of the 10 best infrared heaters by consumer report.
10. Duraflame Infrared Quartz Electric Stove Heater
The Duraflame Infrared Quartz Electric Stove Heater has a classic design that resembles a traditional fireplace. This heater is fully adjustable so you can customize the settings for your home based on the temperature inside your home.
This fireplace-style heater from Duraflame has a durable design. It’s lightweight so that you can easily move it around from room to room if desired. This unit is powerful and can heat a space up to 1000 feet so you can easily use it in a small home as a primary heat source.
- flame brightness settings are adjustable
- fireplace has low and high heat settings
- includes a beautiful flickering flame effect
- light design means you can easily move it around
- includes a large viewing window so you can see the flames
- control panel is hidden behind the door
- can only work as primary heat source in small homes
- not equipped with a thermostat
This compact infrared heater has a lightweight design, weighing less than 20 pounds, so you can easily move it around your home. This heater can heat a space up to 1000 square feet which makes it ideal for use in a large room or a small home.
9. Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater
The Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater is designed to operate in an energy-efficient way to help you save money on electricity. This heater can be used in two different ways. It includes hardware to mount it on a wall and also has feet that you can attach for portability.
This infrared heater from Heat Storm includes a patented heat exchanger with HMS technology. This heating system uses the humidity in the room to provide soft heat without reducing oxygen or humidity to keep the air safe and comfortable.
- entire unit is safe to touch during use
- provides 5200 BTU of heat for a small room or office
- includes 2 power modes: 750 watt or 1500 watt
- compact design makes it easy to move the unit from room to room
- includes a builtin thermostat for convenience
- LED display shows you the ambient temperature
- not designed for medium or large spaces
- heater makes a sound when running that some may find distracting
This compact heater is ideal as a secondary heat source in small spaces. It can be installed on the wall or used with the included feet so you can move it around your home. The heater includes a thermostat and display so you can adjust the unit to your desired temperature.
8. Duraflame 9HM7000-NC04 Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Heater
The Duraflame Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Heater has a beautiful cherry finish on the wooden part of the unit. This heater has a clean design with a modern look that will fit in with any decor. It’s lightweight enough to move around from room to room.
This heater from Duraflame is safe for use around pets and children since it always stays cool to the touch. It’s designed to provide supplemental heating for a space with a size of 1000 square feet or smaller, making it ideal for small homes or an office.
- provides 5200 BTU of heat
- includes overheat protection for safety
- has adjustable thermostat so you can choose a comfortable temperature
- maintains the humidity in your home
- control panel has a simple design and is easy to use
- heater weighs 26.4 pounds and has casters so you can move it around
- not recommended for use as a primary heat source
- heater isn’t powerful enough to work in large open spaces
This lightweight heater from Duraflame has casters so you can move it from room to room. It has a control panel that shows you the temperature and allows you to choose the ideal settings for your space. The heater works well in small rooms or as an office heater.
7. Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop Heater
The Dr Infrared Heater is designed for use in a garage or other area with 220V plug. This heater can be used to heat a room up to 600 square feet. It’s available in 3 different colors: red, gray, or yellow, with each option having an industrial look.
This infrared heater is not designed for ceiling mounted use but can be used on the floor. It has a temperature range from 45 to 95 degrees F. The heater has a powerful fan that helps spread the heat efficiently throughout the room.
- UL and C-UL listed
- includes thermostat control
- has an automatic shutoff feature to prevent overheating
- easy to control with dial for temperature control and a button for controlling the fan
- includes a convenient carrying handle on top of the heater
- has a wide temperature range
- not designed for standard residential use
- requires a 220V plugin which is rare in many circumstances
This industrial style heater is designed for use in garages and other work spaces that are less than 600 square feet. This unit allows you to adjust the temperature using a dial. The heater is lightweight and has a handle so you can move it around as needed.
6. Portable Radiant Heater
The Portable Radiant Heater from Trustech has an energy efficient design so there’s no concern about wasting power while heating your home. This heater uses infrared quartz technology to heat a small room like a bedroom, office, or bathroom.
This space heater is compact and easy to move around as needed. It heats up instantly so you don’t have to wait to warm up. It also helps to maintain the humidity in the air so you don’t have to worry about issues related to dry air in your home.
- features two quartz heating elements
- thermostat allows you to control the heat level
- unit shuts off automatically to prevent overheating
- compact design makes it easy to take this heater anywhere with access to a power source
- heater doesn’t make loud noises when running
- the unit will turn off if it’s ever tipped over
- can’t heat up a large space
- doesn’t include a remote control
This small heater from Trustech is safe to use in your home or office. It has overheating and tip-over protection for safety. This heater is small enough to move around the home but can still heat up the room quickly.
5. Trustech 1500W Portable Space Heater
The Trustech 1500W Portable Space Heater has a temperature that ranges from 59 to 86 degrees F. This heater as a portable design so you can move it around. The heating unit is housed in a stylish wooden cabinet that will look great in any room.
This heater from Trustech has a high mode with 1500W to heat up quickly and efficiently. It can also be used on the low 750W mode to save energy when you don’t need as much heating power. The ECO mode allows the heater to cycle on and off to maintain the temperature.
- touchscreen control panel allows you to easily adjust the temperature
- heater comes with a remote control for convenience
- it includes a timer function so you can make the heater come on whenever you need it
- heater automatically turns off if tipped over
- over-heat shutoff feature prevents the unit from overheating
- timer can be set for anywhere from 0 to 12 hours
- heater makes a noticeable sound while running
- not designed for heating large areas
This compact heater from Trustech is lightweight and portable. It has a touch screen control panel so you can adjust the temperature easily. You can also use the included remote control to set the timer or turn the unit on or off as needed.
4. Homegear 1500W Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater
The Homegear 1500W Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater works efficiently to heat a medium to large size room. This heater comes in two colors: black and white or just black. It has a sleek and modern design that won’t clash with your other home decor.
This efficient heater from Homegear is powerful enough to heat a larger space than many other infrared heaters. It includes a remote control so you can adjust the settings from anywhere in the room. This heater weighs less than 12 pounds and is portable for convenience.
- LED display lets you monitor the setting easily
- blower fan on the heater is quiet but efficient
- dual heating system combines mica and quartz heating technology
- included remote makes it easy to change the temperature
- small size allows you to move the heater from one space to another if desired
- long cable length of 71″ gives you plenty of options for placing the heater
- doesn’t include a timer function
- heater does not have a handle so you can carry it easily
This heater from Homegear has a stylish look and comes in 2 different colors. It comes with a simple control panel that lets you adjust the settings as needed. It’s compact and lightweight so you can move it around your home or office as needed.
3. Duraflame Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace
The Duraflame Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace has the look of a classic wood burning fireplace without the cleaning and maintenance. This heater has large viewing windows that show you the realistic looking flames and logs inside.
This fireplace from Duraflame includes overheat protection to prevent the unit from getting too hot and causing a fire. It uses infrared quartz technology to heat up the space quickly and efficiently while also maintaining the humidity in your home.
- provides 5200 BTU of heat
- can heat a space up to 1000 square feet
- has 3D flame technology for an authentic look
- adjustable thermostat is digital for precise temperature control
- overheat protection adds an element of safety
- maintains humidity to prevent issues related to dry air inside the home
- may be more noisy than other infrared heaters
- larger and bulkier than some other options which makes it not as portable
This heater from Duraflame is designed to resemble and authentic wood burning fireplace. It has viewing windows so you can see the simulated flames to add a cozy atmosphere to your room. This heater is easy to use and it includes a remote control so you can adjust the settings easily.
2. Air Choice Electric Space Heater
The Air Choice Electric Space Heater has a portable design so you can easily move it around and store it away when you don’t need it. It has 3 different modes to function for different heating needs. The ECO mode is ideal for those who are trying to save energy.
This space heater from Air Choice also operates at a high mode with 1500W or a low mode at 750W. The heater is lightweight and has a touch screen control panel that makes it easy to adjust the settings. It’s housed in a classic wooden cabinet to look great in your space.
- high mode will blow warm air within 5 seconds of being turned on to heat quickly
- ECO mode cycles on and off to save energy
- timer allows you to set the heater to come on when you need it
- includes an automatic shutoff feature in case the unit ever tips over
- programmable thermostat allows you to set the temperature to your preferred level
- comes with a remote control for convenience
- unit makes loud beeping noises when it comes on
- not designed for use in large or open rooms
This compact heater from Air Choice is ideal for heating small rooms. It’s lightweight and can be moved around if needed. The unit has a touch screen control panel and a remote control for ease of operation. It can operate on 3 different modes.
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
The Dr Infrared Heater portable space heater uses infrared technology to heat up a room without decreasing the room’s humidity. This heater includes a tip over protection feature that automatically turns the heater off if it gets turned over.
This heater from Dr Infrared Heater has dual heating systems to work efficiently to heat up a medium to large size room. The quarts tube heating element is housed in a wooden cabinet that has a stylish look that can easily coordinate with your other home decor.
- includes an electronic thermostat that ranges from 50 to 86 degrees F
- caster wheels allow you to move the heater around easily
- overheat protection prevents the unit from getting too hot
- heater weights only 25 pounds which makes it portable and easy to store
- energy saving mode prevents wasting energy and money
- includes a remote control so you can adjust the settings from anywhere in the room
- this unit gets hot to the touch on the front panel
- heater doesn’t have a timer function like some similar options
This heater from Dr Infrared heater is ideal for larger rooms. It works efficiently to heat up the space quickly without decreasing the humidity in the room. The heater has an easy to use control panel and also includes a convenient remote control.
An infrared heater works well for those seeking a heat solution that works efficiently and effectively to help you stay warm, rather than working hard to head up the entire room. There are different styles and sizes of infrared heaters to work in different spaces. They also come in a wide range of prices to meet different budgets.
Most of these heaters require no installation but simply plug into the wall for operation. When you’re choosing an infrared heater for your space it can be helpful to read reviews from other consumers. These reviews can provide you with information on the different options available so you can choose one that works well and is designed to last.